March 11, 2012

Mmmm... pancakes

When I asked Jameson what he wanted for breakfast this morning, his exuberant answer was "PANCAKES!!!". We normally keep a stock of pancakes in the freezer but had depleted them so we didn't have any I could just heat up. We normally go to church on Sunday mornings, but daddy having to work today and our church's nursery not always being staffed meant that we had to skip today (a surprise two kids during church with two parents is exhausting but possible- one parent and two kids? Heh!) so, I agreed to making some pancakes. I was in the mood for something different than we usually have, so I dug up my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (a MUST have) because I know I have made some tasty pancakes out of there before.

P.S. I love how wrecked my cookbook is! It sounds weird, but there is something satisfying about a cookbook that you can tell has actually been used!

I discovered the "Blueberry-Cornmeal pancakes" that I have made a few times before. I didn't have blueberries on hand, but I did have some frozen mixed berries so I decided those would work. After thawing and mixing up everything else for the recipe, I discovered that I only had one cup of berries and needed two to double the recipe like I wanted. I didn't have any other berry type things on hand, so I had to think outside the box and decided to go with chocolate chips!

In the end, they turned out super tasty! The mixed berries and chocolate mixed together perfectly with cornmeal to make super tasty, sweet and crazy fluffy pancakes that didn't need a drop of syrup to make them yummy! Woo hoo for recipe adapting success!!!


All mixed up!

 
Cooling the pancakes on the rack before putting on a cookie sheet for the freezer.


I put them on the cookie sheet with layers of foil to freeze...


...but not before the kiddos enjoyed their breakfast. (They actually did enjoy them but I couldn't get a picture of them smiling! Silly kids!)

Here is the recipe as I modified it!

Mixed berry-Cornmeal pancakes
Adapted from Blueberry-Cornmeal pancakes in the Better Homes and Gardens 12th edition
(doubled recipe- makes about 24 fair sized pancakes)

2 cups flour (I used white all purpose this time, but whole wheat would be tasty)
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 beaten eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
1 cup berries
1 cup chocolate chips

In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal sugar, powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.

In another bowl stir together  the egg, buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Gently fold in berries and chocolate chips.

For each pancake, pour or spread about 1/4 cup of matter on a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook over medium heat on each side until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment